History of "The Smiley"
The graphic was popularized in the early 1970s by Bernard and Murray Spain, who seized upon it in a campaign to sell novelty items. The two produced buttons as well as coffee mugs, t-shirts, bumper stickers and many other items emblazoned with the symbol and the phrase "Have a happy day" (devised by Gyula Bogar).
In the UK, the smiley is associated with psychedelic culture since Ubi Dwyer and the Windsor Free Festival in the 1970s and the acid house dance music culture that emerged during the second summer of love in the late 1980s. The face was used as an engraved logo on ecstasy tablets at the time. The association was cemented when the band Bomb The Bass used an extracted smiley from Watchmen on the centre of its Beat Dis hit single.
 Licensing and legal issues
Smiley has been a registered trademark in some countries since 1971 when French journalist Franklin Loufrani created "Smiley World" to sell, advertise and license the smiley face image in the United Kingdom and Europe. The Smiley name and logo is registered and used in over 100 countries for 25 classes of goods and services. Loufrani has created the icon in 1971 to highlight good news in newspaper articles.
In 1999, Harvey Ball formed World Smile Corporation and began licensing the smiley face to fund his undiscovered charitable causes. Profits are distributed to charities through the Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation, which also sponsors the annual World Smile Day Ball started in 1999 to encourage "acts of kindness."
In 2006 Wal-Mart, which prominently featured a smiley in its "Rolling Back Prices" campaign, sought to trademark the smiley face in the United States, coming into legal conflict with Loufrani and Smiley World over the matter. In 2006 Wal-mart began to phase out the smiley face on its vests and its website.  During a trademark infringement case against an online parodist, Wal-Mart again tried to claim it held the trademark rights to the yellow smiley face. In March 2008, Wal-Mart lost the case and the judge stated in his decision that Wal-Mart did not own rights to the smiley face.
In 2008, the Russian entrepeneur Oleg Teterin, president of the mobile phone company Superfone, claimed a trademark for the emoticon smiley that included ownership of ;-) and closely related smileys. He says he does not intend to go after individual users, but rather intends for companies who plan to use the emoticons to pay him royalties.
In 2008 Loufrani lost his case in the EU when he tried to register the right half of the Smiley-mouth as a separate trademark. 
Iconic smiley face
The variant spelling "smilie" is not as common, but the plural form "smilies" (the plural of "smily", not "smiley") is commonly used.
Many typographical representations of smiley faces have been developed over the years. Some feature non-smiling expressions or other elaborations. They come in two main varieties, those meant to be viewed sideways, and those meant to be seen upright.
Online Usage- The smiley face is a wide part of todays text messaging language or online slang. It is displayed as :-) or :) or even :].
|:-)||classic smile with nose (Unicode: ☺ #263A)|
|:-(||classic frown with nose (Unicode: ☹ #2639)|
|:)||classic smile without nose|
|:(||classic frown without nose|
The two original text smileys, :-) to indicate a joke and :-( to mark things that are not a joke were invented on September 19, 1982 by Scott E. Fahlman, a research professor at Carnegie Mellon University's Department of Computer Science. His original post at the CMU CS general board, where he suggested the use of the smileys, was retrieved on September 10, 2002 by Jeff Baird from an October 1982 backup tape of the spice vax (cmu-750x) as proof to support the claim.
More recently, small, in-line graphical images of smileys and other faces have become popular, especially on forums:
The reverse, or left-handed, smileys (-: have also gained popularity for being a way to avoid having text smileys converted to graphical representations in certain settings such as instant messaging programs.
If you’re not using your smile, you’re like a man with a million dollars in the bank and no checkbook.
Even if I am in a bad mood I have to smile and be nice to the fans.
A smile is a language that even a baby understands.
Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
Don’t cry because it’s over, SMILE because it happened.
A smile is an inexpensive way to change your looks.
Keep a smile on your face and let your personality be your autograph.
People seldom notice old clothes if you wear a big smile.
If you haven’t seen your wife smile at a traffic cop, you haven’t seen her smile her prettiest.
A smile of encouragement at the right moment may act like sunlight on a closed-up flower; it may be the turning point for a struggling life.
A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.
I’ve got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I’m blue.
Smiles are great investments: the more you collect, the better you feel.
So many languages in the world, and a smile speaks them all.
Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day. Source unknown A spark of kindness starts a fire of love.
No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.
يرى كثير من المتخصين اليوم ان للضحك فوائد كثيره
1- يقوي جهاز المناعه
2-ينمي مستوي الفهم
3-يحرك عضلات الجسد
4-يرخي الشد في الجسد
6-يخفف حدة التوتر والقلق
7-يضفي البهجه في حياة الانسان
8-ينشر الاجواء الايجابيه في اماكن وجوده
9- يحسن العلاقات مع الآخرين ويحببهم فيك
10-ينشط الطاقه والحركه
واحد مسطول بيقول لصاحبه مش عارف يأ أخي عود الكبريت ما بيولع ليه مع إنه لسه مولع من شوي.
- تايه بيسأل واحد ماشى فى الشارع اية اسرع طريق اروح بيه للمستشفى ؟؟ قالو غمض عينيك وعدّي الشارع
• واحد راح للدكتور بيقولو يا دكتور انا عندى صداع ، قالو بتنام والشباك مفتوح ولا مقفول ؟ طيب افتحه قبل متنام وتعالى بعد يومين ، جاله بعد يومين ، قاله الدكتور راح الصداع؟ جاوب: الصداع راح والتلاجه راحت والتليفزيون راح و ....
• واحد ندل فتح مصنع بيبسي كتب على كل علبة : رج جيدا قبل الفتح
• بلديات فتح محل انابيب غاز .. فجّر اسطوانتين فى وسط البلد .. دعاية
- واحدة راحت تخطب لابنها .. ام العروسة بتسألها ... و ياترى ابنك بيدخن ؟؟؟ ردت عليها : لا لا لا الحمد لله ، ابني ما بيدخن..... الا اذا سكر
- واحد بيقول لصاحبه ... الحق الثعبان دخل غرفة حماتك؟ ... قاله: سيبه يستاهل
• واحد ماسك قنبله وعم يحدفها من ايد لايد، قابله واحد تاني قال له :يخرب بيتك هلأ بتنفجر بوجك ، قاله : ماتخاف معي غيرها
- مره واحد مسطول ماشي مع حبيبته في نص الليل فاشفت ابوها فقالت يالهوي بابا بابا فقالها ماتخافيش قوليلوا اخوك
- واحد غبي بمطعم ما بدّو يدفع الحساب راح صوب الباب بسرعه,قرأ على الباب ادفع
قال : حتى الكمبيوتر صادني
1. ^ Honan, William H. (April 14, 2001). "H. R. Ball, 79, Ad Executive Credited With Smiley Face". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/14/us/h-r-ball-79-ad-executive-credited-with-smiley-face.html. Retrieved August 29, 2009.
2. ^ Smiley Story. Smiley World website.
3. ^ World Smile website
4. ^ "Wal-Mart seeks smiley face rights". BBC News. 8 May 2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4984138.stm. Retrieved 2006-05-09.
5. ^ Loufrani v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., Opposition No. 91152145 (Filed July 23, 2002)
6. ^ Kabel, Mark (October 22 2006). "Wal-Mart phasing out smiley face vests". Associated Press.
7. ^ Williamson, Richard (October 30 2006). "The last days of Wal-Mart’s smiley face". Adweek. http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2006/10/the_last_days_o.html.
8. ^ "Wal-Mart loses trademark on smiley face". Boing Boing. 28 March 2008. http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/28/walmart-loses-tradem.html.
9. ^ "Oleg Teterin, Russian Entrepeneur, Trademarks an Emoticon". Huffington Post. 11 December 2008. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/11/oleg-teterin-russian-entr_n_150438.html.
10. ^ "EuG: Bildmarke in Form eines halben Smileys nicht schutzfähig". markenmagazin:recht. 29 September 2009. http://www.markenmagazin.de/eug-bildmarke-in-form-eines-halben-smileys-nicht-schutzfaehig-urteil-vom-29-09-2009-t13908/.
11. ^ Mike Jones (September 12, 2002), The First Smiley :-), research.Microsoft.com, retrieved May 31, 2007